Have you ever seen a stunning piece of clothing in a store window or on a runway that took your breath away? Have you ever wanted to be a part of making trendsetting fashion products? Fashion is ready for innovation; the time has never been better for newcomers to disrupt the market as fashion brands seek out inventive new ways to sell products, promote diversity, and emphasize sustainability practices.
Whether your goal is to be a designer, trend forecaster, merchandiser, buyer, or production manager, this certificate program provides an overview of the fashion industry that combines consumer and industry knowledge with business and economics.
The courses in the program cover four major areas of fashion design management: trend forecasting, product line development, production planning, and distribution and marketing. After examining current trends, you will have the opportunity to conceptually design your own six-product fashion line that considers style, silhouette, color, and fabric choices. From there, you will explore the world of production planning and how factories are chosen to manufacture items for fashion brands. Finally, you’ll create a marketing and distribution plan to determine how to best bring your fashion line to market.
Once you’ve completed the program, you’ll have gained a strong foundation in how the business of fashion operates that can help you launch or grow your career in the industry.
- Produce a cohesive trend forecast report that can inform fashion product lines
- Conceptually design a six-product fashion line using a line creation toolkit and additional resources provided for color and fabric selection
- Explore fashion production from fit and stitching to selecting a factory
- Create a distribution and marketing plan for bringing a fashion pop-up shop to market
Who Should Attend
- Anyone hoping to build or grow a career in the fashion industry
- Designers seeking a business background
- Fashion Trends and Forecasting
What does it mean for something to be "on trend"? In fashion, trends guide everything from design to consumer behavior, evolving and changing over years and even decades. Trend forecasting is how industry experts predict what new trends will become popular with consumers and how existing trends will evolve over time. A knowledge of trend forecasting is necessary for staying relevant in fashion, whether you are working for an established fashion house or starting your own line. This course will guide you through the trend forecasting process so you can create a relevant trend forecast, be it for your own fashion brand, a large industry brand, or a trend forecasting service.
You will research current fashion trends using primary and secondary sources to determine what trends will be prominent with consumers. This research will be used to choose a trend for your trend forecast report. You will then gather the data from your research and, using the GRAB method, interpret your findings around a target market of your choice. Once your data is collected and synthesized, you will use your findings to complete your trend forecast report.
- Fashion Line Product Development
When you think about fashion, you often imagine a fashion line displayed at a store or coming down a runway. The development of the fashion line is a process that begins long before clothing is constructed and placed on a model. Product line development involves a significant amount of planning on the part of the designer as well as the other fashion professionals involved in the process.
In this course, you will develop a fashion product line, either for your own brand or for a brand of your choice. You'll start by identifying the target market, brand, and product type toward which you will design. Once you establish this foundation, you will develop the concept for your line and get feedback from your peers. You will use this feedback to conceptually design a six-piece fashion product line and an accompanying line sheet.
- Production Planning
The quality of your product is integral to managing a successful fashion brand. When fashion garments are created in a factory setting for a brand, every element of the garment's production cycle must be planned. Forward thinking in garment production ensures that every piece is completed to your specifications in a timely manner and that the manufacturing facilities you choose will be the best fit for your product line.
In this course, you will explore the process of production planning used to create a fashion product line. You will begin by creating a bill of materials that can be used to communicate the fabric needs of each product in manufacturing. You will then consider how stitching, construction, and fit are used by manufacturers to create a garment that will appropriately fit your consumer. You'll conclude the course by examining how factories and manufacturers operate and filling out a time and action calendar that you can use to plan the manufacturing timeline of your product line.
Inquiry about Offered by
Last updated December 24, 2020
Programs.online is in Beta phase. In addition to text below please refer to our Beta Disclaimer
Programs.Online (the 'Platform', 'we', 'us', 'our') makes a wide range of information, software, products, documents, communications, text, graphics, content, tools, resources, and services available to you.
Use of information
Agreement to Receive Electronic Communications
Agreement to Receive Autodialed or Pre-recorded Calls and SMS Messaging
You further understand and consent that we may, upon notice at time of contact, monitor, or record telephone conversations between us (or our service providers) and you or anyone acting on your behalf has with us or our agents for quality control and training purposes or for our own protection. You acknowledge and understand that, while your communications with us may be overheard, monitored, or recorded, not all telephone lines or calls may be recorded by us, and we do not guarantee that recordings of any particular telephone calls will be retained or retrievable.
Use of materials limitations
All materials contained in the website are collected from publicly available materials and are the copyrighted property of the respective universities, university-affiliated organizations, companies, non-profit organizations, etc., this Platform, its subsidiaries, affiliated companies and/or third-party licensors. The Platform collects, indexes, displays and makes available this information as a service for use. All trademarks, service marks, and trade names are proprietary to the universities, university-affiliated organizations, companies, etc. and this Platform, or its subsidiaries or affiliated companies and/or third-part licensors.
Unless otherwise specified, the materials and services on this website are for your personal and non-commercial use, and you may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from the website without the written permission from universities, university-affiliated organizations, companies, or this Platform.
Links to third-party sites / Third-party services
This Platform may contain links to other websites ("Linked Sites"). The Linked Sites are not under the control of this Platform and this Platform is not responsible for the contents of any Linked Sites, including, without limitation, any links contained in these Linked Sites, or any changes or updates to these Linked Sites. This Platform is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by this Platform or any association with its operators.
Certain services made available via this Platform are delivered by third party sites and organizations. By using any product, service, or functionality originating from this Platform, you hereby acknowledge and consent that this Platform may share such information and data with any third party with whom this Platform has a contractual relationship to provide the requested product, service, or functionality on behalf of this Platform's users and customers.
User Conduct Policy
In addition, you may not post, upload, or transmit to or otherwise make available through the Services any content, communications, or other information (collectively, "Unauthorized Content");
- That is obscene, fraudulent, indecent, or libelous or that defames, abuses, harasses, discriminates against or threatens others
- That contains any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or other disabling devices or other harmful components intended to or that may damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information
- That you do not have the right to disclose or make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as insider information, or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements)
- That infringes the copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity, or other intellectual property or proprietary right of any third party
- That violates the rights of other Users of the Services; or
- That violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or otherwise advocates or encourages any illegal activity
Use of Documents and Publications on the Website
Except as expressly prohibited on this website, you are permitted to view, copy, print, and distribute publications and documents within this website (such as FAQs, white papers, datasheets, press releases and so on), subject to your agreement that: a) your use of the information is for informational, personal, academic, and non-commercial purposes only, b) you will not modify the documents, publications, or graphics, c) you will not copy or distribute graphics separate from their accompanying text and you will not quote materials out of their context, d) you will display the below copyright notice and other proprietary notices on every copy you make, and e) you agree that this Platform may revoke this permission at any time and you shall immediately stop your activities related to this permission upon any changes made by the Platform or notice from this Platform, whether delivered generally or specifically to you. Use for any other purpose is expressly prohibited by law, and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible.
The permission above to use documents and publications does not include permission to copy the design elements, look and feel, or layout of this website. Those elements of the website are protected by law, such as trade dress, trademark, unfair competition, and other laws and may not be copied or imitated in whole or in part. No logo, graphic, sound, or image from the website may be copied or retransmitted unless expressly permitted by this Platform.
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED OTHERWISE, this Platform AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DOCUMENTS AND PUBLICATIONS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THE WEBSITE FOR ANY PURPOSE. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED OTHERWISE, ALL SUCH DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED OTHERWISE, this Platform AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH REGARD TO THIS INFORMATION, INCLUDING ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL this Platform AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE FROM THE WEBSITE.
THE DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THE SERVICES COULD INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. This Platform AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES IN THE PRODUCT(S) AND/OR THE PROGRAM(S) DESCRIBED HEREIN AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
Accounts and Security
If any of the services on the website requires you to open an account, you must complete the registration process by providing us with true, current, complete, and accurate information as prompted by the applicable registration form, and you will maintain and promptly update such information to keep it true, current, complete and accurate. You also will choose a password. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account. You agree to notify this Platform immediately of any unauthorized use of your account or any other breach of security. This Platform will not be liable for any loss that you may incur as a result of someone else using your password or account, either with or without your knowledge. However, you could be held liable for losses incurred by this Platform or another party due to someone else using your account or password. You may not use anyone else's account at any time, without the permission of the account holder. You acknowledge and agree that certain services may provide password-restricted access to customer information such as names and certain terms of your contracts. By using this website and registering for such services, you consent to this Platform's display of such information via the services and accept all risks of unauthorized access to such information. If you provide any information that is false, inaccurate, out of date, or incomplete, or this Platform has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is false, inaccurate, not current, or incomplete, this Platform may suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the services or any portion thereof. You are responsible for all costs and charges, including without limitation, phone charges and telecommunications equipment that you incur in order to use the services.
No Unlawful or Prohibited Use
As a condition of your use of this Platform, you will not use this Platform for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices. You may not use the Services in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair any of this Platform's server, or the network(s) connected to any of this Platform's server, or interfere with any other party's use and enjoyment of the website. You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to Services, materials, other accounts, computer systems, or networks connected to any of this Platform server or to this Platform, through hacking, password mining or any other means. You may not obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available through this Platform.
This Platform may contain e-mail services, bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities, personal web pages, calendars, photo albums and/or other message or communication facilities designed to enable you to communicate with others (each a “Communication Service” and collectively “Communication Services”). You agree to use the Communication Services only to post, send and receive messages and material that are proper and, when applicable, related to the particular Communication Service. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Communication Services or this Platform, you will not:
- Use the Communication Services or this Platform in connection with surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, chain letters, junk email, spamming or any duplicative or unsolicited messages (commercial or otherwise).
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
- Publish, post, upload, distribute, or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, obscene, obscene as to minors, child pornography, racist, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, indecent, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable topic, name, material or information.
- Upload, or otherwise make available, files that contain images, photographs, software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, including, by way of example, and not as limitation, copyright or trademark laws (or by rights of privacy or publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consent to do the same.
- Use any material or information, including images or photographs, which are made available through this Platform in any manner that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary right of any party.
- Upload files that contain viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancel bots, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer or property of another.
- Advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, unless such Communication Services specifically allows such messages.
- Download any file posted by another user of a Communication Service that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally reproduced, displayed, performed, and/or distributed in such manner.
- Falsify or delete any copyright management information, such as author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded.
- Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Communication Services.
- Violate any code of conduct or other guidelines which may be applicable for any particular Communication Service.
- Harvest or otherwise collect information about others, including e-mail addresses.
- Violate any applicable laws or regulations.
- Create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others.
- Use, download or otherwise copy, or provide (whether or not for a fee) to a person or entity any directory of users of the Communication Services or other user or usage information or any portion thereof.
- Use this Platform domain name as a pseudonymous return email address for any communications that you transmit from another location or through another service.
- Transmit unsolicited or bulk communications to any of this Platform's account holders or to any Programs.Online or affiliated email address (regardless of whether you use the website to transmit any such communication).
- Disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to “scroll” faster than other users of the website are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges.
This Platform has no obligation to monitor the Communication Services. However, this Platform reserves the right to review materials posted to the Communication Services and to remove and/or edit any materials in its sole discretion. This Platform reserves the right to terminate your access to any or all of the Communication Services at any time, without notice, for any reason whatsoever.
This Platform reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as this Platform deems necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to edit, refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, at this Platform's sole discretion.
Always use caution when giving out any personally identifiable information about yourself or your children in any Communication Services. This Platform does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in any Communication Services and, therefore, this Platform specifically disclaims any liability with regard to the Communication Services and any actions resulting from your participation in any Communication Services. Managers and hosts are not authorized spokespersons of this Platform, and their views do not necessarily reflect those of this Platform.
Materials uploaded to the Communication Services may be subject to posted limitations on usage, reproduction and/or dissemination; you are responsible for adhering to such limitations if you download the materials.
Materials Provided to this Platform or Posted to this Platform's Website
Unless otherwise specified, this Platform does not claim ownership of the materials you provide to this Platform (including, without limitation, information, ideas, concepts, techniques, feedback, data, questions, comments and suggestions, or the like) or post, upload, input or submit to the website or its associated services for review by this Platform, the general public, and/or by the members of any public or private community (each a “Submission” and collectively “Submissions”), and such Submissions shall be deemed not to be confidential. However, by posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting (“Posting”) your Submission you are granting this Platform, its affiliated companies and necessary sub-licensees permission to use your Submission in connection with the operation of their businesses (including, without limitation, all of this Platform's services), including, without limitation, the license rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, modify, translate and reformat your Submissions; to publish your name in connection with your Submission; develop, manufacture, and market products incorporating such ideas, concepts, or techniques, and the right to sublicense such rights to any supplier of the services and/or materials on the website.
No compensation will be paid with respect to the use of your Submission, as provided herein. This Platform is under no obligation to post or use any Submission you may provide and this Platform may remove any Submission at any time in its sole discretion.
You understand that all Submissions, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, are the sole responsibility of the person from whom such Submissions originated. This means that you, and not this Platform, are entirely responsible for all Submissions that you upload, post, provide, input, submit, or otherwise transmit via the website. This Platform does not control the Submissions posted via this Platform and, as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Submissions. You understand that by using the website, you may be exposed to Submissions from others that are offensive, indecent or objectionable.
Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy
THIS PLATFORM OR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES DO NOT ACCEPT OR CONSIDER UNSOLICITED IDEAS, INCLUDING IDEAS FOR NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS, NEW PROMOTIONS, NEW PRODUCTS OR TECHNOLOGIES, PROCESSES, MATERIALS, MARKETING PLANS OR NEW PRODUCT NAMES. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY ORIGINAL CREATIVE ARTWORK, SAMPLES, DEMOS, OR OTHER WORKS. THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY IS TO AVOID POTENTIAL MISUNDERSTANDINGS OR DISPUTES WHEN THIS PLATFORM'S PRODUCTS OR MARKETING STRATEGIES MIGHT SEEM SIMILAR TO IDEAS SUBMITTED TO THIS PLATFORM. SO, PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR UNSOLICITED IDEAS TO THIS PLATFORM OR ANYONE AT THIS PLATFORM. IF, DESPITE OUR REQUEST THAT YOU NOT SEND US YOUR IDEAS AND MATERIALS, YOU STILL SEND THEM, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS PLATFORM MAKES NO ASSURANCES THAT YOUR IDEAS AND MATERIALS WILL BE TREATED AS CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY.
Programs.Online does, however, welcome your feedback regarding many areas of Programs.Online's offerings. If you want to send us feedback, we request that you submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide only specific feedback on Programs.Online's existing products, services, and promotion/marketing strategies to this email address; do not send or provide any other submissions.
Any feedback you provide to Programs.Online will be deemed to be non-confidential and not proprietary. Programs.Online will be free to use and redistribute such information on an unrestricted basis, without any compensation to you.
Spam E-mail and Postings
You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless this Platform, its officers, directors, employees, agents, and third parties, for any losses, costs, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) relating to or arising out of your use of or inability to use this Platform or services, any user postings made by you, your violation of any terms of this agreement or your violation of any rights of a third party, or your violation of any applicable laws, rules or regulations. This Platform reserves the right, at its own cost, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, in which event you will fully cooperate with us in asserting any available defenses.
Advertisements and Promotions
This Platform may run advertisements and promotions from third parties on the website. The manner, mode and extent of advertising by this Platform are subject to change. Your correspondence or business dealings with, or participation in promotions of, advertisers other than this Platform found on or through the website, including payment and delivery of related goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and such advertiser. This Platform is not responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as the result of any such dealings or as the result of the presence of such third-party advertisers on the website.
Community Code of Conduct
By engaging with Programs.Online's community, whether as a user or otherwise, you are contributing to a culture of collaboration, mutual support, and lifelong learning.
Programs.Online's Community Code of Conduct is enforced to foster a productive learning environment for you and your fellow students and alumni.The Community Code of Conduct is in place with the priority of preserving:
- Your safety
- Your privacy
- Respect among community members
- Cultivate a positive, supportive learning environment
- Communicate respectfully and considerately with all users and Programs.Online staff
- Not share content that is obscene, illicit, threatening, or discriminatory
- Contribute constructively to discussions with fellow community members
- Notify Programs.Online immediately if you become aware of Honor Code or community violations at email@example.com
Inappropriate, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or violent comments or conduct.
Offensive comments related to gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, disability or disease.
- Distributing inappropriate images:
Use of sexual, violent, graphic, or derogatory images.
Deliberate intimidation, threats of violence, violent language, or other language (e.g., comments on physical appearance), designed to intimidate, degrade, or shame another person.
- Sexual harassment:
Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Self-injury or Suicide:
Postings in any of our communities that encourage self-injury or suicide. If you or someone you know is exhibiting signs of self-injury or suicide, please find help at the Suicide Prevention Lifeline in the U.S. and Befrienders.org globally.
- Other harmful conduct:
Obscene, fraudulent, indecent, or libelous acts that defame, abuse, harass, discriminate against or threaten others.
Termination of Rights
Programs.Online respects the rights and intellectual property of others, and we ask our Users to do the same. If you believe that your product or other work has been misrepresented or used in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please provide Programs.Online's Copyright Agent with the following information:
- A description of the product, work or other intellectual property that you claim has been misrepresented or infringed;
- A description of where and/or specific link to the material that you claim is misrepresenting or infringing your product, work or other intellectual property is located on the Online Courses;
- Your address, telephone number, and email address;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the owner of the product, work, copyright or intellectual property, or its agent, or applicable law; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the product, work, copyright or intellectual property owner or authorized to act on such owner's behalf; and
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the product, copyright or other intellectual property interest.
Programs.Online's Copyright Agent for notices of disputes or claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement can be reached on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legal Disputes and Arbitration Agreement Please Read This Following Clause Carefully – It May Significantly Affect Your Legal Rights, Including Your Right to File a Lawsuit in Court.
Initial Dispute Resolution We are available by email at email@example.com to address any concerns you may have regarding these Terms or your use of the Services. Most concerns may be quickly resolved in this manner. Each of you and we agree to use best efforts to settle any dispute, claim, question, or disagreement directly through consultation and good faith negotiations which shall be a precondition to either party initiating a lawsuit or arbitration.